Thursday, April 2, 2020

Sketchbook 2, May 2018 - April 2019


When I have a busy few weeks I will make a calendar in my sketchbook to keep track of appointments and projects. Typical example below.


More crosshatched diary entries. I left this one unfinished thinking of textiles and other hand-made things.


Simple grid, testing new paint. 


Repetitive X's. 


Color gouache study. 


I will sometimes include interesting quotes. Not sure exactly what I was thinking at this time, or am I just missing some punctuation? 


Early concept for what later became some large scale drawings. The notes contain a few thoughts too. 


Later drawing from idea above.


Variation on theme. 


Trip to California in December 2018. During Christmas I was at my sisters home in San Diego with my good friend Steven Russell.


December 26th. A little bored perhaps. 


You can see the blue grid I drew under this drawing as a guide for the design. This occurs frequently in this sketchbook. Begin with an underdrawing, usually a grid, and improvise from there. 


Despite it being December in California I tried to swim everyday. The pools were all outdoors but the water perfect for lap swimming. This day I went swimming at the municipal pool in Balboa Park. Very old school, I believe it was built in the 1930's, old tile and fixtures, run down locker room, but fantastic. The sun was out, the pool deep and the 20 something lifeguards were playing 70's rock on the radio. Heaven.




Same trip to California but now at friends house in Palm Springs. I would get up early, it would be cold in the house, but we would light the gas fire and sit around it as we drank our coffee. The coffee would kick in the I would work in my sketchbook. Two grids here of orange and blue, opposites on the color wheel. 



Last day in California. 


Back to the big city and high rises. This one in acrylic paint


This drawing crosshatched. 


Always the question of what it means to depict something in art making. 




Last page in this sketchbook. A quote from Gerhard Richter from the movie 'Never Look Away'. If you like Richter's work or movies about artist in general, this movie is a must see. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

INTRODUCTION TO MY SKETCHBOOKS

I have a plan to use this period of social distancing and home isolation to scan and post pages from my old sketchbooks.  Perhaps I will...