Saturday, April 4, 2020

Sketchbook 4, - June 2017 - April 2018

First page. Architecture and Capitalism.


Play with isometric perspective drawing.




Gay Pride party grocery list.


A Josef Albers study based on his series of paintings 'Homage to the Square'. I painted a few copies in gouache on 12 x 12 panels to look at both his color theory and to practice hard edge painting.  Here I work out Albers underlying geometry.


My swimming yardage.



Working out an idea.  





I eventually made larger drawings based on these ideas. They can be seen on my other blog: MrMagooArt.blogspot.com.

http://mrmagooart.blogspot.com/2018/11/new-drawing-november-23-2018.html

Somewhere around this time I saw a Saul Steinberg show at the Art institute. I love his drawing and after seeing the show pulled out my old pens with the metal nibs and the India ink.

Here is a link to that show: https://www.artic.edu/artists/36786/saul-steinberg



More swimming yardage.





In terms of pen and ink work I have always thought that Julia Wahola's penmanship was exquisite. Andy knew it too. I occasionally work at trying to improve my own script.


A collage made out of leftover scraps from some of the sailboat pieces I was making.


Scraps again.


I left my spelling mistakes in this one.


Playing with Acrylic paint pens.


I do like looking at art, I just prefer to think about it.






A short trip to Michigan. Jill at the beach in Hagar Shores.




A collage of scraps from a rubber stamping project.


Sailboats? Sharks?




I purchased a bright pink pen from Martha Mae, and amazing store in the Adersonville neighborhood of Chicago. A crosshatching test here with all the specs.


A pink pen from a different brand.


A text drawing not filled in. 




I do think one should avoid cliches if at all possible, although I fall into them all the time.


The segregated city.


Last page in this sketchbook. I alway thought this would make a good large drawing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

INTRODUCTION TO MY SKETCHBOOKS

I have a plan to use this period of social distancing and home isolation to scan and post pages from my old sketchbooks.  Perhaps I will...